Training program practical information
Oct 23 - 24
1 and 2
3 to 6
7 and up
DOCSIS 3.1 is the latest version of the DOCSIS set of specifications, promising download speeds of up to 10 Gbps. It defines a totally new physical layer for achieving those speeds. However, to fully utilize its features, major HFC network upgrades are required.
The goal of this course is to provide insight into how the new physical layer operates, the impact on the network and how the HFC network needs to be modified. The course also provides a good understanding of the speeds that can be offered by 3.1 based on network parameters.
It is recommended that the attendee already has a good knowledge of DOCSIS to fully benefit of attending this course.
What can you expect?
- Achieve an in-depth understanding of the technological evolution and its advantages along with the new concepts introduced in DOCSIS 3.1.
- An overview of the different features and characteristics
- Calculation of the speeds that can be offered by 3.1 based on network parameters
- After attending this course the attendee will be capable of understanding the DOCSIS 3.1 concepts, numerology, configuration and monitoring.
PART 1: INTRODUCTION
- Historical perspective
- Course outline
PART 2: TECHNOLOGY OVERVIEW
- Expanded spectrum usage in 3.1, new channel definition
- The promise of increased bandwidth
- High level overview of 3.1 technology and functionality
PART 3: NEW TOOLS IN THE BOX
- Modern data communication systems and their building blocks
- Understanding OFDM, subcarriers and pilots, cyclic prefix , windowing and equalization
- DOCSIS 3.1 OFDM numerology
- The benefits of LDPC error correction
PART 4: DOWNSTREAM DATA TRANSMISSION
- Anatomy of 3.1 downstream channel and its transmitter/receiver system
- PHY Link Channel (PLC) with OFDM Channel Descriptor (OCD) and Downstream Profile Descriptors
- Next Codeword Pointer (NCP) and profile based transmission
PART 5: UPSTREAM DATA TRANSMISSION
- Anatomy of 3.1 upstream channel and its transmitter/receiver system
- Re-use of legacy minislot definition, introducing QxK minislots
- OFDMA Upstream Data Profiles (OUDP), IUC13
- FEC codeword selection
PART 6: CABLE MODEM INITIALIZATION AND PROFILE PROMOTION
- Ranging and registration, the O-INIT-RNG-REQ message
- Downstream profile promotion, OFDM Profile Test (OPT), OFDM Downstream Spectrum (ODS)
- Upstream profile testing, P-MAP and probing
PART 7: FEATURES
- Timing revisited, DTP, Extended Timestamp
- Advanced Queue Management (AQM)
- Service flows and Hierarchical QoS (HQoS)
- Energy Management, DOCSIS Light Sleep (DLS)
PART 8: PREPARING FOR THE 3.1 TRANSITION
- Expected timelines and scenario's
- Backwards compatibility
- HFC network readiness
- Power levels and other physical layer implications
This training focuses on the Engineering site within a cable network. You have attended the (Euro)DOCSIS Technology & Protocol Level 1 training or the (Euro)DOCSIS Refresher course or have through experience a very good understanding of (Euro)DOCSIS 3.0 technology.